ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING RGS
RETIRED GENTLEMEN’S SECTION OF HOLYWELL GOLF CLUB
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING held on Tuesday 25 October 2016 at 2.00pm at Holywell Golf Club.
Present: Mr Elwyn Roberts (in the Chair) and 39 other Members as recorded on the attendance sheet attached as an Appendix to the official record.
Apologies were received from 8 Members as recorded on the attendance sheet.
The Chairman welcomed the Members to the meeting.
2 Minutes of the last Annual General Meeting
RESOLVED: That the Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on Tuesday 20 October 2015 be confirmed as a correct record of the proceedings.
3 Matters Arising from the Minutes
There were no matters raised on the Minutes of the last meeting
4 Chairman’s Annual Report for 2016
The Chairman presented his Annual Report a copy of which is attached to the official record.
He referred to the sad loss of two of the Club’s and the Section’s loyal members – Mr Frank Tweddle and Mr Allan Roberton. Both were admired by all the Members and would be sadly missed. They had both made major contributions to the Club over many years.
He also referred to Mr Bert Moore who had lost his wife Angie and to Mr Dave Lee, a member of the Section before moving to Tenneriffe, who had lost his wife,June.
In particular in his report, he highlighted and commented on the key events, successes, issues and contributions over the last twelve months as follows:-
- the Section had over 80 members which meant that the major competitions and “turkey trots” were well supported
- congratulated the winners of the Section’s major competitions in 2016
- mentioned the problems some clubs were having in getting sufficient players for the inter-club matches with two having to be cancelled
- confirmed that the calendar for 2017 had been finalised and that the inter-club matches were excellent social occasions, good value for money and provided a great source of income for the Section
- reported that the Section had been able to purchase new notice boards for the car park area
- thanked the catering staff for their hospitality and support during the year, particularly in supporting the inter-club matches
- referred to the away break at Heron’s Reach, the new exchange fixture with Henlle Golf Club near Oswestry and the away day at Mile End Golf Club. All three events had been very successful and he thanked Kevin Leech for organising the events so superbly
- the home and away fixtures with West End Golf Club in Halifax continued to be a highlight of the season
- expressed the Section’s thanks to Mark Smale and the Greens Staff for the excellent condition of the course throughout the year and to Matt Parsley and Carol Saunders for their valuable support from the Professional side
- referred to another very successful Christmas Dinner in 2015 and thanked everyone for their help and support particularly Kevin Leech for organising an excellant function. He expressed the hope that the number attending this year would increase as last year the number was slightly down
- expressed his thanks, on behalf of all members, to the members of the Committee for all their hard work in the last year and he felt that the arrangements for running the Section had continued to work well again. He highlighted particularly the support of Astley Jones and Kevin Leech in organising the major competitions
- reported that the Seniors Open was well supported this year
- wished members past and present who were suffering from ill health a speedy recovery
- thanked all members for their tremendous support, friendship and camaraderie over the last twelve months which he believed to be the secret of a successful Section
5 Treasurer’s Report
The Treasurer’s Annual Report was presented together with the Section’s Balance Sheet for the financial year 2015/2016 which had been audited and certified as correct by the Auditor. The financial position was good with the accounts showing a credit balance of £1046.93. A copy of the certified balance sheet is attached to the official minutes.
He thanked Les Terry for his support as Assistant Treasurer, Roy Smallman for auditing the Accounts, the members who had assisted in collecting match fees for the inter-club competitions and the Professional and Carol in the Professional’s shop.
He reminded Members that it was necessary to agree the annual subscription and to appoint the Auditor.
- the Accounts be approved;
- Mr Roy Smallman be reappointed as Auditor for 2016/17; and
- the subscription for membership of the Section for 2016/17 be set at £5 .
6 Motions under Article 7 of the Constitution
The Chairman reported that one motion had been submitted in accordance with Article 9.4 of the Constitution. The Motion, a full copy of which appears in the Minute Book, sought to amend the requirements on entry to the Section by removing the employment criteria leaving only an age requirement at 55 years.
The motion was moved and seconded and open for debate..
The background leading to the submission of the Motion was explained and a full and detailed discussion ensued. As the motion, if approved, would constitute a major amendment to the Constitution then as provided by Article 8.1 a two/thirds majority of those present and voting was necessary. Any change would also require the endorsement of the appropriate Club Committee.
The motion on being put to the meeting was carried by 22 votes for and 13 against with 4 abstentions.
However, as the two/thirds majority had not been secured the motion could not be proceeded with.
7 Election of Chairman and Committee
- Elwyn Roberts be elected Chairman of the Section for the coming year;
- Frank Phillips be appointed Treasurer;
- the following Members, in addition to the Chairman, be appointed to serve on the Committee for the ensuing year:-
Eric Hadfield – Match Secretary
Astley Jones – Major Competitions
Kevin Leech – Away-days etc
Frank Phillips as Treasurer
Les Terry – Assistant Treasurer
Pat Mcdermott – Co-opted
Mike Arthur (advice on meetings and constitutional issues)
The Members recorded their thanks to Elwyn Roberts for his commitment and dedication as Chairman and praised him on the way he had performed his duties. The Committee was also thanked for its efforts in running a very successful Section.
8 Any Other Business
It was reported that the Away Break in 2017 would be at Wychwood Golf Course near Crewe and details would be posted shortly on the RGS Notice Board in the Gents’ Locker Room.
The cost of this year’s Christmas Lunch was reported at £16 per head.
Concern was expressed that there was no presentation of prizes after the Open Day earlier in the year. It was agreed that this should be addressed for the 2017 event.
There being no further business, the Chairman thanked everyone for attending and declared the meeting closed.